November 21, 2012

Jeweled Coconut Cookies

My list of which cookies to make around the holidays seems to get longer and longer every year. I just can't help myself and am always looking to try an new recipe....I mean honestly you never know what you may stumble across when you leave your comfort zone!! When I first started baking and cooking I found most of my "now" favorites at Taste Of Home. Their website is chuck full of tried recipes and their magazines are not only full of recipes but usually have a picture to go with everyone of them. I am the type of person that can just imagine how yummy something may taste just by looking at the picture while reading the recipe. I have kept so many of my magazines so I always have visual to get inspiration from.....and again this doesn't help shorten my list!

Out of all of my "must try" or "looks yummy" this recipe is a MUST in my baking agenda. I love these cookies! I probably shouldn't limit these just to the holidays.
I have also made these for cookie exchanges. This recipe is easy to make ahead of time and easy to double.

Jeweled Coconut Crisps



Jeweled Coconut Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 TBS milk (I use lactose free milk)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup finely chopped red and green candied cherries
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional....but I always add them)
1 cup flaked coconut

Directions:

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy in a large bowl. Beat in milk and vanilla.
Gradually add flour while mixing. Stir in cherries and pecans.

Shape into 2 8inch logs. Sprinkle coconut** on a cookie sheet and roll both logs in the coconut so that it sticks to the sides of the dough. Do not press too hard otherwise you will have oddly shaped cookies.

**I have made these and have added the coconut to the dough instead of rolling them in it. I personally prefer it this way rather than the rolling part.

Wrap logs in plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hrs (can be chilled overnight if preparing ahead).

When ready to bake preheat oven to 375F.
 Remove dough from refrigerator, remove plastic wrap and cut into 1/4 inch slices.  Place onto cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart and bake 10-12 minutes or just until edges are lightly browned.

Cook on wire rack.


Makes about 5 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment