February 13, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning

I searched the internet high and low for the best homemade taco seasoning mixture AND guess what I have finally found one that my kids like. They didn't notice any difference in flavor and ate all their dinner without a complaint or question. I have to admit though I still haven't told them that I made the flavoring mixture homemade because I don't want them to all of the sudden find something they don't like about it after all. BUT for now I can honestly say no more pre-packaged taco seasoning with unneeded ingredients.  Next on my list.....buy a few mason jars so I have this on hand all the time!



Homemade Taco Seasoning

1 TBS chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano

(for heat add: 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes)

Combine all ingredients and mix well. I use 2 TBS of the mixture for 1 pound of ground turkey (beef). I DO NOT ADD ANY WATER but I also do not drain the turkey before adding the seasoning.



2 comments:

  1. This is GREAT!!! I have been buying Wildtree as they are the most all natural seasonings, we really like their stuff. Now I can make this myself :) I just have to update all my spices....they are old and I think I should refresh them :(

    If you used beef instead of turkey would you add water? If so how much?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stocked up on new spices too....I need to make a run to Costco to get a big thing of Cumin and Cinnamon those are my 2 most used spices.

    As far as using beef instead of turkey.....I would have to take a guess, we haven't used ground beef in FOREVER. I would start with just a little water at a time, 1/4 cup water to start with...then modify to your taste/consistency.

    ReplyDelete