February 19, 2013

Almond Biscotti

I really am trying to loose a few extra and unneeded pounds but I just can't help myself with not baking some sweets every so often. Thankfully I can control my cravings and don't eat too many at once. I seem to always eat more if I don't have anything sweet in the house to snack on. Anyone else have this problem??

I was going through my list of "tried and love" looking for a recipe for something that I know will turn out super and that will hit the spot. Have you ever had biscotti? It isn't your typical cookie and they aren't usually too sweet BUT  if you love coffee as much as I do then you probably love biscotti too.

I first made this while I was in Culinary School and am SO glad I saved this recipe. Thank You Chef Rogers for giving us this recipe and getting me hooked on Almond Biscotti!!! I wish you all could meet Chef Rogers....he was such a fun Chef to work with, you either enjoyed his personality or you didn't and if you didn't he knew ;-)


Almond Biscotti

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped almonds

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.


Batter is sticky & soft but it is supposed to be this way.
Cream butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Add in one egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Slowly add flour and baking powder to the butter mixture, along with the salt. Stir in almonds. Then divide dough in half and spread into two 12-in x 3-in rectangles. Sprinkle with the reserved 1/4 cup sugar before baking.

Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. ***They are going to be a bit soft in the center still after this first step of baking***


Remove from oven and reduce oven heat to 300F. Lift the rectangles off of the cookie sheet but still on the parchment paper onto a cooling rack. Let cool for 15 minutes. After cooling, cut the rectangles 1/2 inch thick. Place the slices  cut side down onto an ungreased baking sheet. **you won't need parchment paper for this part even though mine are on it** Bake for 10 minutes; turn cookies over and bake for another 10 minutes.

Cool completely on cooling rack before storing in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment