I saw this recipe for a pre- baked oatmeal that you can store in the fridge and possibly eat all week and thought....yum...strawberries, chocolate, bananas, walnuts and oatmeal....this better be good!
Doesn't look too bad, huh? This smelled so delish while it was baking in the oven, it even lured my kids out of their rooms asking what I was baking.
I made a few changes to the original recipe....I used lactose free milk, chopped almonds instead of the walnuts and I didn't have regular sized chocolate chips, I only had mini ones.
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, chopped
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 375°F and generously spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half the nuts, half the strawberries and half the chocolate. (Save the other half of strawberries, nuts and chocolate for the top of the oatmeal). In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries, nuts and chocolate on top. Add the banana slices to the top then pour the milk mixture over everything. Gently shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
- Bake 35 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the egg mixture has set.
Verdict: DELISH!! After it cooled I covered it and stashed it in the fridge. The past 3 mornings I have reheated a portion in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes (give or take depending on the size). I will definitely be making this again....next time with blueberries & bananas or peaches & white chocolate chips with chopped pecans. YUM I can't wait!!