August 28, 2012

French Toast Bake


Last night while I was getting dinner ready I decided to prep breakfast. I have seen this recipe on Pinterest repinned many times and after going through my saved recipes on my computer, guess what I found!? Yep, a recipe for a French Toast Bake! To make this unplanned breakfast I even had a loaf of day old white bread, granted it was already cut and the slices were thin but it will still do the job.

I prepped everything last night and shoved it covered into the fridge.....morning can't come soon enough.

French Toast Bake

1/2 cup butter or 1 stick
1 cup brown sugar
1 loaf Texas toast (I used about 10 slices of thin cut bread)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk (I used lactose free milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

**powdered sugar for sprinkling after baking**

Directions:
In a small saucepan melt butter and brown sugar, stir to make sure the butter is melted. After the butter is melted remove from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile whisk eggs, milk and vanilla extract until incorporated and frothy.
Now pour the butter and brown sugar mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.

**I used a 2 1/2 quart sized Pyrex....but from what I understood out of the original recipe is that this recipe does NOT make enough for a 13x9, you would have to double for that size**

Spread one layer of toast over the sugar mixture and then pour half of the egg mixture on top of the toast. Repeat, you should have two layers of bread and egg mixture over the sugar mixture. Now cover the baking dish and store it in the refrigerator overnight.








In the morning, preheat oven to 350F and bake for 35 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered. Sprinkle with powered sugar before serving.

My whole family LOVED it!!! My only complaint is that the brown sugar & butter mixture was just a tad bit too sweet for my taste, next time I make this I am going to try it with a little less brown sugar and maybe I will sprinkle a little cinnamon between the bread and egg layers.


2 comments:

  1. I'm finally getting aroung to making this! Sitting in my fridge ready to go for tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure to let me know how you liked it :-) Natalie wants me to make this for her birthday breakfast next week

      Delete