March 8, 2013

Sweet Sesame Chicken


Getting either Chinese or Thai take-out on those nights where my day just seemed to be a little more hectic then I anticipated or wanted and don't get me wrong even though I LOVE both our take-out options I think I might have found one of the two cuisines match!!!

Don't mind my paperplate or brussel sprouts because I love both of them :-)

I have had a few different Honey Sesame Chicken recipes written down and pinned to try but they all called for 1 cup of honey. Now between you and me honey is a little pricey especially if you are using 1 whole cup of it in a recipe that you aren't too sure about in the first place....so instead of the honey I used brown sugar and honestly I don't think I even want to try using honey. The flavor was so yummy and delicious that I will be holding this recipe up against any take-out or eat-in Chinese restaurant I eat at in the future.

Seriously I am adding this to my all time favorite crock pot recipes!!


Sweet Sesame Chicken
Chicken all ready to cook

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts....thighs would be fine too
salt and pepper
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp onion powder OR 1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 TBS oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes....optional- won't add much heat but it will add flavor

4 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 6 TBS water
sesame seeds.....you won't need this until your are ready to serve


Directions:
Season both sides of chicken with lightly with salt and pepper, put into crock pot.

In a small bowl combine brown sugar, soy sauce, onion powder, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken and give it a good stir to coat the chicken evenly. Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours. Time may vary depending on if you are using frozen or thawed chicken

I could have just eaten right out of the bowl!!
Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Cut chicken into bite size pieces or shred....I decided to shred it because my chicken was so tender it just fell apart! Return chicken to pot and toss with sauce and then remove chicken again. Don't leave it in the sauce because it will be too overwhelming in flavor.

So remove the chicken, pour sauce into a small saucepan and then return chicken back into the warm crockpot to keep warm until ready to serve.

Turn the heat onto medium heat to warm the sauce up to a simmer. Meanwhile dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into saucepan. Stir to combine with sauce. Continue stirring and cooking sauce until it thickens.



Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles....I forgot to add the sesame seeds but it still tasted AMAZING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment