February 22, 2013

Tamale Chicken Bake

Am I the only one that loves tamales but still hasn't figured out how to make them??? I am determined to figure out the best recipe for them and to make them to keep stocked in my freezer. Have you ever had tamales with eggs in the morning? A good friend of mine not only shared some of his AWESOME tamales but also share that suggestion with me.....thank you Andrew!

So since I haven't had the time to actually make tamales I tried my hands at a Tamale Bake since it didn't require corn husks and a steam pot. I need to remember the next time I make this to try eating it with my eggs for breakfast, I am pretty sure this would work too.
Top view of the yummy bake

Chicken Tamale Bake

1 cup shredded cheese ( cheddar or mexican blend)
1/3 cup milk ( I used lactose free milk)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 can of cream-style corn
1 (8.5 oz) box corn muffin mix
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles, drained
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast

Directions:

Preheat oven 400F. Lightly grease 13x9 baking dish.

Don't ask me why I didn't use a fork....must have been distracted ;-)
Mix together 1/4 cup of cheese, milk, egg, cumin, cayenne, cream-style corn, muffin mix and diced green chiles. Spread into prepped baking dish and bake 20 minutes. 

Poke holes all over the baked corn cake layer. Now you can decide on the next step....either spread your enchilada sauce over the surface then cover with chicken & remaining cheese OR put the chicken on first and top with enchilada sauce & cheese <<< I choose this option because I didn't want my chicken to dry out.









After topping with the chicken, cheese and enchilada sauce return the bake back to the oven to warm the chicken and melt the cheese, 5-10 minutes should be enough. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Thank You and yes I will join your blog party....heading there now :-)

    ReplyDelete