September 29, 2012

Bountiful Basket

My Saturday morning started off pretty early, which is nothing new but this morning I was ok with it. I did have a good reason for being up early this morning. A few friends of mine have told me about how they love picking up their "bountiful baskets" filled with various fresh produce. So I decided to give it a try! Bountiful Baskets is a co-op run by volunteers only so they get fresh produce at way cheaper prices then what they offer at grocery stores. They offer a conventional produce basket every other week which is 1/2 fruit and 1/2 veggies. It costs $15.00 but it is valued at almost $50.00 if you bought these from your regular grocery stores. If you haven't heard of it before here is their website: Bountiful Baskets You might be lucky and have a pick up location near you too.


This is everything that was in my basket this morning....fresh spinach, green leaf lettuce, collard greens, heirloom tomato, zucchini, avocado, strawberries, apples, plums, bananas and a honeydew melon. Out of all of these fresh produce the collard greens is the only thing I am lost with, have never eaten them and have never cooked them either BUT I will give it a whirl!

My spinach was the first thing I cleaned and used today. As soon as I saw the spinach I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it because it reminded me of a fresh spinach & feta cheese quesadilla I had while on vacation in Izmir, Turkey.....so that is what I made today after cleaning my spinach.

Don't these just look amazing?!
Really simple to make! I put a large flour tortilla into a hot non-stick skillet (no oil), sprinkled it with a little shredded mozzarella & a pinch of italian seasoning (optional), a little pepper. Then topped it with chopped fresh spinach and about 1/4 cup of crumbled feta. Let the tortilla get lightly browned then fold in half. I flip the tortilla once to make sure both sides are heated evenly before taking them out of the pan. Cut in half and eat!! YUM! I will be eating these all week or at least until I have used up all my spinach.



1 comment: