September 13, 2012

Wild Rice Chicken Salad


I have had this recipe for a long time, couldn't even tell you where I got it from either but every so often I like to make this. It is a perfect side dish at a BBQ but if you like it as much as I do then you might eat it just on its own. I usually like making this with leftover rotisserie chicken. It is such an easy dish to make and even tastes better if you make it the day before you are planing on eating or serving this.

3 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
2 1/2 cups cooked wild rice** (cooled)
1 cup finely chopped carrots
3/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 Granny Smith, unpeeled & diced
Dressing:
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


Directions:

In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients and then set aside.
In a large bowl combing all your salad ingredients and then toss with dressing. (Did I mention this was easy?) Cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.


** for the wild rice I find it cheaper and easier to buy the boxes that come with the seasoning packets. I just cook the rice as directed minus the seasoning. I make two boxes, measure what I need out of the finished rice and save the rest for another meal (Wild Rice Soup).

* you could use a different type of apple, I prefer the tartness of the Granny Smith though.



No comments:

Post a Comment