October 17, 2013

Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts

Last week in my baking class I decided to make my scrumptious Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts for my classmates.....needless to say they were a HUGE success and I actually had to hide doughnuts to bring home for my family. SO with that being said I figured I HAD to share my recipe with you again. It's a KEEPER for sure and WILL have your friends and family asking for the recipe or for more!!


Previously shared September 19, 2012
*****This past Sunday my husband woke up and asked if we should go out for breakfast, which I had to turn down since we had been gone all day Saturday and we were going over to friends for a BBQ & Football. I asked him why he wanted to go out for breakfast and he replied with: "I am hungry for something good.....like Pumpkin Doughnuts". I jumped out of bed and said:"I have a recipe I have been wanting to try out for Homemade Pumpkin Doughnuts and I even have pumpkin in the pantry".

 So off to the kitchen I went!
Since I have never even tried making doughnuts EVER before I was not convinced this recipe would work or taste good. The original recipe called for buttermilk, which we never have in the house so instead I use Greek yogurt (this we always have). The dough was super easy to make and it was also really sticky, another reason I didn't think it was going to work BUT you do have to put the batter in the freezer for 15 minutes before you press it out to cut into shape.

**A little tip: cut all your doughnuts out before heating the oil to fry it in, otherwise you might have a flour mess like I did because I didn't think the doughnuts were going to cook as fast as they did**


Pumpkin-Spice Doughnuts

1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk <<<<greek yogurt
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 TBS butter, melted
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp pumpkin spice
1 TBS salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups flour, plus extra for patting out

Directions:

In a large bowl whisk together both the whole egg and the egg yolk until frothy. Add pumpkin, sugar, buttermilk (yogurt), brown sugar and butter; whisk until combined. Stir in baking powder, pumpkin spice, salt and baking soda.
Gradually fold in flour until a sticky dough forms; cover and put in freezer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile get your pan ready for frying. You will need at least 2" of oil.....don't heat until after you have cut your doughnuts.
Take dough out of freezer and pat out on a well floured surface to 1/2" thick and then cut using either a doughnut cutter or 2 biscuit cutters. Transfer these to a floured baking sheet.
Now heat your oil to at least 370F before you start frying your doughnuts. Fry doughnuts and doughnut holes until browned, about 3 minutes turning once halfway through. Keep an eye on these so they don't burn! Place the finished doughnuts on a baking sheet lined with paper towel. When they have cooled enough to touch finish them by dipping them in a cinnamon and sugar mixture. ( 1 cup + 1 tsp cinnamon).

Don't mind the jug of baby water in the background my husband pulled the camera out and I was so impressed with the way the doughnuts were turning out and slightly freaked out about all the flour I had tossed all over the kitchen that I didn't even notice the water jug in the background until I went to edit my pictures.

I don't think I will ever buy store bought pumpkin doughnuts again after making these!!! These doughnuts hit the spot on taste, texture and freshness. 










No comments:

Post a Comment